We’re thrilled that you’re interested in contributing your voice with a submission to Unfit Christian. We are a collective of who honor the idea that not everyone interprets or approaches Christianity the same. No one should feel forced into a box of what makes a “good” or “perfect” Christian. Submissions for Unfit Christian usually come from people who have never felt like they fit into the mold.
If you are:
- A Person of Color: This isn’t a requirement but it’s certainly helpful in context of the audience reach for Unfit Christian.
- Able to write basic grammar & syntax: Edits and feedback will be provided, but you’ve gotta give us something to work with!
- Candid: This isn’t an opportunity to bash or project, but be open with one another.
- Familiar with the topics discussed on the site: Generally speaking, we cover faith, relationships, identity (gender, race, class, sexual), and relevant pop culture
You do NOT have to be a Christian to provide submissions for Unfit Christian.
We know, shocking right? We appreciate well-rounded experiences of people of color. Although we identify as people of faith, we recognize the richness of the voices of people of color who do not.
You don’t have to be a regular contributor to write for Unfit Christian. If you have a story related to any of the following, please contact us so we can share your experience and knowledge.
- Losing It: A series detailing real accounts of people who have transitioned away from faith, particularly Christianity. These are personal essays that details the author’s experience with faith and how they transitioned away from Christianity into another faith or agnosticism/atheism.
- Being Saved Didn’t Save Me: A series detailing real accounts of faith-at-a-crossroads moments by people of all walks of life. Topics of interest include:
- Abuse (Sexual, Intimate Partner, Verbal, Emotional)
- Church Hurt (the experience of pain and betrayal at the hands of church members and/or leaders)
- LGBTQIQ identity (LGBTQIQ Pastors, Leaders, Musicians, etc. are encouraged to submit)
- Rape & Sexual Violence
- Marital Infidelity
- Sexual Dysfunction
- Identifying as Christian while:
- Sex Worker (including exotic dancers, cam girls, escorts, street workers, phone operators, etc.)
- Illicit Worker (including trafficking, arms dealing, etc.)
- Identity Topics: Including gender, race, class, and sexual identity. Requested expertise includes:
- Trans-identified people of faith
- Polygamous and Polygynous people of faith
- BDSM and other sexual kinks and their impact on your faith
- Special Topics: We’re keenly interested in finding the following voices:
- Did you marry someone you know is the wrong person but you struggle to leave due to your faith?
- Have you been hurt by the church but recovered and returned to the fold?
Email all submissions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Even if you don’t see your topic listed, submit! If you have not heard from someone within two weeks, submit your post again.